Omega-3 Deficiency Symptoms
Are You Ignoring These Dangerous Omega-3 Deficiency Symptoms?
Tips for Understanding Commonly Overlooked Omega-3 Deficiency Symptoms
Ever eat a non-fat cookie or brownie?
Notice how dry, brittle and crumbly it is? Well, not enough Omega-3 does the same thing to your skin.
Your skin is the first place to show signs of deficiency. No amount of moisturizing creams will fix that.
Then look at your hair and nails. Is your hair a bit straw-like? Are your nails brittle or soft?
We know that low iron causes anemia.
And low Calcium causes brittle bones.
But we don’t think much about low Omega-3. Most doctors don’t either. Part of the reason is that Omega-3 deficiency symptoms are shared by other illnesses, so they are easily overlooked. Or misdiagnosed.
Scientists have recently given a name to Omega-3 deficiency – it is FADS or Fatty Acid Deficiency Syndrome.
List of Omega-3 deficiency symptoms:
1. Skin related signs
- Dry skin and hair and soft or brittle nails
- Rough patches of skin
- Small bumps (like chicken skin) on the back
of upper arms and legs
- Atopic allergies like eczema
- Dry eyes
2. Attention and concentration problems
- Attention Deficit, hyperactivity
- Inability to concentrate
3. Mood related signs
- Mood swings
- Low frustration tolerance (“short fuse” or highly emotional outburst when things don’t go as planned)
4. Energy and sleep related signs
- Poor sleep quality
5. Inflammation related signs
- Joint pain – the Omega-3 called EPA can moderate the body’s immune response and this has an effect on Rheumatoid Arthritis pain.
- Omega-3 reduces inflammation in the joints, so persons with Osteoarthritis supplementing with Omega-3 can expect to feel increased comfort in their stiff joints, particularly in the morning.
Omega-3 Deficiency Symptoms Change With Age
Children and young adults usually have skin and concentration symptoms but as you age, you may begin to notice sleep and energy related symptoms.
Joint and cognitive related symptoms are commonly seen in middle-aged and elderly persons.
So Why is it Dangerous to Ignore these Symptoms?
Most of these symptoms are just inconvenient or annoying but some can be painful or unpleasant. If ignored, your body can stay in a constant state of inflammation. And over time, this can lead to heart disease and several other serious illnesses.
Eating the wrong kind of fat is like putting diesel into a car that runs on gasoline.
Except your body somehow manages to keep sputtering along.
Now that you know these easily-prevented deficiency symptoms, eat more fish (salmon), nuts and green leafy vegetables. And if you go a day or two without eating fish, make sure to take a high purity, pharmaceutical grade fish oil supplement like OmegaVia.